top of page

Eligibility for Victoria First Home Owner Grant (FHOG)

Generally you will be eligible for the Victoria First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) if:

Neither you nor your spouse have previously:

  • received a first home owner grant in Australia.

  • owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either jointly or separately, before 1 July 2000

  • Occupied for a continuous period of at least 6 months, a home which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000 in Australia.

You may still be eligible for the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner purchased a property on or after 1 July 2000 and have not lived there as your home.

Additionally, to receive the FHOG at least one applicant must:

  • Must occupy the home as their principal place of reside (PPR) for at least 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction.

  • Be aged 18 or over (discretionary).

  • Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident:

  • In the case of the purchase of a new home - as at the date on which the applicant/s become entitled to possession of the home under the contract, which generally occurs on the date of settlement.

  • In the case of entering into a comprehensive building contract - as at the date on which the building is ready for occupation as a place of residence, which generally occurs when construction of the home is finished.

New Zealanders holding a special category visa under s32 of the Migration Act 1958 and anyone holding a permanent visa under s30(1) are considered permanent residents for these purposes.

New Zealand citizens must be living in Australia when the eligible transaction is completed.


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page